Monday, June 27, 2011

Retro Monday 6/27/11

Well for most people (myself included), Mondays aren't exactly your favorite day of the week. So I want to take readers back to their childhood, even for a few minutes, because who wouldn't love to be a kid again? My child hood wasn't the best or perfect, but I do have plenty of happy moments.

Gaming, movies, toys and music have always been a huge part of my life, so I plan on having a few cherished things from my childhood (and hopefully your childhood as well) showcased. If this blog grows (which I hope it will, I'll also be open to suggestions from you guys.)



Sega Genesis:
The picture above is actually a Sega Genesis 2, which is the model I received when I was just 6 years old. 

This console was known by two names, the Mega Drive in Japan, Europe, Asia, Australia and Brazil and the Genesis in North America. The Mega Drive was released in 1988 in Japan and the Genesis in North America in 1989. Surprisingly the last new licensed game for the system was released as late as 2002 in Brazil. 
This console introduced us to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega's answer to Nintendo's Mario. And in America, was the Super Nintendo's main competitor.
This is a very, very brief description of the console and its history, to read on, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive

I received this console in 1996 for my 6th birthday, yes, I know I'm young. I remember Columns (which was never much fun for me when I was a child), shipped with the console. This wasn't the first console I had played, but it was definitely the first I owned.

The games I remember playing the most were: 
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (I played it all the time and saved plenty of animals from the clutches of evil Dr. Robotnik) 

  • Eternal Champions (one of the greatest fighting games of all time)
 
  • Madden 96 (always have and always will, love football)

  • Boogerman (I'm pretty sure this isn't even a good game, but I loved it as a kid)

  • WWF Royal Rumble (I loved wrestling as a kid, now? not so much)
  
What was your 1st console or handheld?

No comments:

Post a Comment